Monday, December 25, 2017

Carol Service Sermon 2017

The unchanging, life-changing message of Christmas


Carol Service Sermon Notes 2017



I want to break with all convention and do something deeply embarrassing:

I want to ask you a question.

Not a rhetorical question but a real, actual question, to which I’m hoping you’ll respond.

I’m sorry!

Forgive me: it is nearly Christmas!

Please would you put your hand up if you came to this service last year.

Thank you very much.

Thank you for coming.

And thank you for coming back – that’s always encouraging!



Well, the message of Christmas hasn’t changed.

So I refer you to my sermon from last year!



2017 is nearly over.

And it’s been an eventful year.

Much has changed.



Teressa May lost her majority.

The Brexit saga continues and Article 50 has been triggered.

There’s no escaping Brexit, not even at the Carol Service!

North Korea has had us on the brink of nuclear war.  

Some have feared that Russia is running America and that the DUP are running Britain.

Our bank notes and coins have changed, and are worth rather less.

Having Googled changes in 2017 for you, I can tell you that Katy Perry, who ever she is, has radically changed her hairstyle at least 4 times – blonde, platinum, short, then clipped, if you’re wondering.



Maybe things have changed for you and for your family this year.



Everything changes, and yet nothing changes.



The world is fundamentally the same.

In some ways we still walk in darkness.

I read a news review of 2017 recently and the thing that struck me was the number of terrorist incidents.

There was another suicide attack in Pakistan last week.

The security services here tell us they have prevented a plot over Christmas.  

We still seem just as adept at making a mess of our world.

We still stand in need of the peace and good will.



The message of Christmas is unchanged.

I trust our readings and our carols have made something of that message clear.

The hope and dreams of all years are met in Jesus, the baby of Bethlehem.

He is the long-promised rescuer-king, the Son who is given to us, the Wonderful Counsellor, the Mighty God, the Prince of Peace.

He is Emmanuel, God with us – God come in the flesh, into the mess and darkness of our world.

He was from the very beginning hunted and hated,  a refugee, fleeing from terror.

Yet his humble birth is news of great joy for all the people.

He is a Saviour who is Christ, the Lord – the Saviour of the world, of all nations.

The government is upon his shoulders.



He is the ultimate strong and stable leader.

Strong, because he is Almighty God.

Stable, because, well…

See what I did there?

Strong and stable.

There was no room at the inn, you see?

So, stable?



(Oh dear, I don’t know why I bother…)



Jesus means to change our world, one life at a time.



The unchanging message of Christmas is still relevant – still vital.

It still meets the most fundamental needs of our world, your most fundamental needs and mine.



Joseph was told to call the baby Jesus, which means God’s saves, Saviour, because the Christ-child would save people from their sins.

According to the Bible all the world’s problems, all your problems and mine, track back to sin – to rebellion against God, to our living of our lives our way for ourselves.

We sin and we are sinned against.

And so we need a Saviour.

Jesus is the one and only human being who never sinned, who has come to pay the price of sin.



If, like the Shepherds, we will go and check these things out, we would find the baby no longer wrapped in swaddling-clothes and lying in a manger, but in the Scriptures.

Jesus comes to us clothed in the pages of the Bible.  

And the Bible presents Jesus to us as the Saviour of sinners, the one who perfectly meets our greatest needs.

The baby who was born, would live a perfect life, and die an undeserved death, and rise victorious over sin and death and hell, so that sinners like you and me might be forgiven, so that we might have peace with God.



I want to finish by asking you another question.

This time I won’t ask you to put your hand up, but I hope you’ll think about it.

The good news of Christmas hasn’t changed, but has the good news of Christmas changed you?

I don’t so much mean have you tried to show peace and good will to other people this year, although of course I hope you have.

I mean has Jesus made a difference to you this year?

He came to rescue, to renew and transform.

When he came he split time in two and he meant to leave nothing the same.

Has he changed you?



If I may be cheesey for a moment -

And what is Christmas about, if not an excess of cheese:

Jesus is the reason for the season.

And Jesus is for life, not just for Christmas.



Has Jesus been your saviour, your Lord, this year?

His promise to all who believe in him is that, whoever we are, and whatever we’ve done, we can live as God’s restored, beloved children.

In Jesus are the light and life for which we were made.

All the blessings of God’s love are for all who will receive Jesus.



I hope you’ll come back to this service in 2018 – and perhaps not just to this one.

But even more, I hope that the unchanging Jesus changes you and me, and changes our 2018.

My prayer is that like the Shepherds we might go on our way rejoicing, because we have met Jesus – and that nothing will ever be the same.

Christmas changes everything.

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light.



I hope some of you will want to find out more about Jesus in the year ahead.

I realise you might have questions.

This God born in Bethlehem is a lot to take in.

A virgin birth takes some believing.



I hope you’ll give some time to asking yourself, could what we’ve been singing actually be true?

When I look at Jesus, can I see the Godhead there veiled in flesh?

And what difference would it make?

What difference will He, Jesus, make to me?



On your service sheet, you’ll see details of an evening we’re putting on on Wed 10th January when you can come and hear something more about what it is Christians believe and ask any questions.

We’d love to see you there.

And indeed, you can always give me a ring or drop me an email.

I’d be delighted to talk to you further about this life-changing message.



A very Merry Christmas to you.

And Amen.


No comments: